Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Well, after over 20 years of searching used book stores, thrift stores, flea markets, little kids' backpacks and the pockets of dead bums in alleys, all with no luck, my long search for the Conan Endless Quest adventure books came to a conclusion thanks to the amazing generosity of a Geek Orthodox reader named Kevin. In all seriousness, people, I'm stunned.

You all may recall that I previously posted a blog about these books, how much I had cherished them when I was 12 years old and how I was willing to push a nun off a building to get them back again. I published the blog without another thought and went on with my life. Then, a few weeks ago, I got an e-mail from a reader, telling me that he had bought a big stack of Endless Quest books on eBay for a steal and there happened to be two of the three books in there and if I cared to send him my mailing address, he'd send them along. Just like that. Didn't even want shipping. Just did it out of kindness. This, my friends, is the kind of thing that renews my hope for the future of mankind.

Photobucket

Then, about a week ago, I get another e-mail from Kevin, letting me know that while he was digging around for something, he came across the third book, Conan the Outlaw, which I had never even seen in real life! You see, folks? The world's gonna be just fine.

Yesterday they arrived in the mail. I am now, once again, the owner of all three Conan Endless Quest books and I fully intend to do nothing this weekend but lay on the couch with a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos and read them, over and over again.

Photobucket

I'll probably be totally geeking out on these books for the next couple of weeks, so expect more posts detailing each book, including some scans of some of the sweet vintage artwork inside of them!

So, again, my sincere thanks goes out to Kevin for thinking of a person he doesn't even know and sending these along. Now, along with my one-of-a-kind Conan custom action figure and my hand drawn Conan trading card from Bubbashelby, I have a Conan collection that would impress even Crom sitting high upon his grim mountain!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I actually just checked "Conan the Outlaw" out from my local library last month. It's interesting: you can "play" Conan either Howard-style (reckless and ruthless) or de Camp-style (plotting and thoughtful). Enjoy!